Equine-Facilitated Therapy & Wellness Groups
EQUINE-FACILITATED THERAPY GROUPS – 1.25 Hours (4 people)
Our Equine-Facilitated Therapy Groups are developed and led by Carlisle’s credentialed occupational, physical and recreational therapists, and supported by our nationally certified PATH and CHA riding instructors and professional horse handlers. Participants rotate through stations of grooming, mounted/driving, and clinic-based therapies, integrating equine-assisted activities and therapies (see below) to meet a group’s diverse needs, such as developmental sensory processing, neuro-motor and core strength issues, and life-skills enhancement. Children, adults, and seniors challenged with developmental, acquired, or aging-related disabilities may sign up as individuals or be contracted through a school, hospital or residential facility.
Specific Curricula designed for:
- School-Aged children
- Developmental Skills Group
- Life Skills Group
- Seniors: Fall Prevention (living at home or assisted living)
- Seniors: Sensory & Movement Group (living in a nursing facility)
EQUINE-FACILITATED WELLNESS GROUPS – 1.25 Hours (4 people)
Our Equine-Facilitated Wellness Groups are developed and led by Carlisle’s AHCB-credentialed occupational therapists with a holistic approach to mental health and wellness, supported by our nationally certified PATH and CHA riding instructors and professional horse handlers. Participants rotate through stations of grooming, mounted/driving, and therapy clinic, integrating equine-assisted activities and therapies (see below) to meet a group’s diverse needs. Each Wellness Curricula provides rich equine-experiential learning, combined with a sensory-processing approach and self-calming strategies for enhanced body and mind engagement and a goal to improve function at home, community, and work. Children, adults, and seniors recovering from post-traumatic stress, cancer, addiction, or other mental health challenges may sign up as individuals or be contracted through a school, hospital or residential facility.
Specific Curricula designed for:
- At-Risk Youth
- People recovering from addiction
- Emergency Responders
All Equine-Facilitated Therapy or Wellness Groups are eligible for Carlisle Charitable Foundation scholarships. Application is necessary. For more information visit www.carlislecharitablefoundation.org.
Note to AGENCIES:
For Equine-Facilitated Therapy or Wellness Groups, a contract is required with an Agency/School to determine number of participants (minimum of 4, up to 10) and duration of service (minimum of 10 weeks for a 12-week session, and minimum of 6 weeks for an 8-week session). Price per student does not vary but weekly group lesson time does; between 1.25 – 2 hours. Additional consulting services can be included in the contract. Please see Organizational Consulting Services here.
Equine-Assisted Activities & Therapies Used in Group Services:
The various equine-assisted activities and therapies are used in these Equine-Facilitated Therapy & Wellness Groups led by credentialed therapists, and supported by PATH & CHA instructors.
- ADAPTIVE HORSEMANSHIP teaches adaptive riding skills for educational and therapeutic purposes. These activities help with balance, coordination, self-confidence, attention, communication, and emotional well-being.
- ADAPTIVE CARRIAGE DRIVING teaches adaptive driving skills for educational and therapeutic purposes. It is a fun and engaging alternative to riding that can address balance, core strength, and cognitive skills.
- HIPPOTHERAPY is mounted Physical, Occupational, or Speech Therapy using the back, movement, and gaits of the horse to facilitate development and rehabilitation. Used as a medical treatment strategy prescribed by physicians and conducted by licensed therapists trained as specialists, hippotherapy can improve range of motion, gait, core stability, balance, motor control, sensory processing, and emotional modulation. For more information on Hippotherapy, click here.